Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lets Talk Labels...

This blog was inspired by my lovely Aunti Glo lol. I was having a conversation about someone I feel is very special to me. Since I speak highly of this person she asked; "Well girl is this young man your boyfriend?" My response; " No aunti were just friends." Alot of people are soooo stuck on labels that they let the labels consume their "relationships." I'm happy without a label I'm happy to say me and this person are enjoying each others company just like a couple would minus the actual label. Just in case I'm losing you on this let me explain. What would be different if we both sat down and said hey this my girlfriend/ boyfriend? We go out and do "couple activities" we laugh, play, smile and frown. So what would be different? The only difference in my eyes is in the introduction... for example if I'm introducing this person to my friends No I wouldn't be saying; "Hey yall this is my "Boyfriend". What does it matter if i previously stated that im happy? Some of my friends, and family just don't get it. "either he is or he isn't" is something they would say. So I ask them what is the difference, what would change in our relationships if i told you he was my boyfriend? Nothing. It wouldn't make us any happier. The big label that you want is;" this is my Husband!" lol Honestly that's when things are different and actually means something. Some girls wont allow it, I have actually witness people end their friendships because they feel like the guy or girl isn't claiming them or doesn't want to take that next step with them. If you let labels end a friendship then honestly I think your crazy! You could've pressed the issue so much and pushed this person so far away that you have let your future label walk right out the door! (hubby and wifey lol) So to all my friends,family, and bloggers we are HAPPY being friends that happen to be attracted to each other! Now I have nothing against those who choose to put the boyfriend/girlfriend stamp on it but its just not something that's going to control my life. If we're happy then I see no problem with calling you my friend. Don't let the Labels consume your life and ruin your relationships. Those on the outside lookin in can say whatever but hey live ya life and be HAPPY!

2 comments:

  1. Redwood, I would have to concur with your family. Labels in my opinion has a purpose. A lot of guys (not all) but most avoid labels because if they are not ready for a relationship and it's a label beside friendship they will not be free to do as they please.

    I'm not sure what your relationship is, with your friend. But as some point when you guys become more than friends, and are monogamist I hope the two of you put a label on your relationship. (ie.. couple or not?)

    Labels help people know where they stand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats true....i think now we do refer to each other as thats my "guy" or "girl" but idk its so hard to explain! lol but we are happy and have those limits set.

    ReplyDelete